Ulzzang Transformation

I'm Asian and like many (Asian) girls I like Korean culture and especially the beauty ideal of Korea very much!

I wrote this guide to share with you, but also in an attempt to create a community where everyone can help each other out
This is site is full of thoughtful personal tips, tricks and advise that I hope will help you to look like a Korean/ ulzzang.
With that said everything here is far away from a scientific work so please judge for yourself!

I hope you find some of the things helpful!


I always welcome advise, criticism, own experiences from you so please leave comments if there's anything bothering you or if you want to share something.
A place for every of your comments, questions, etc
UPDATES!!! Ruined my eyes writing 3 fashion posts (and that hairstyle post for you guys!!! Hope they are good for something!
Was too lazy to revise or check my writing in the end, so if you see some terribly embarassing spelling mistakes, yeah.. I really am that stupid!

I want to revamp the whole layout, add 2 posts about putting together an outfit and 'trends and staples', but not this lyfe man!
Oh yeah.. how do the new posts load? I know a shitload of pictures, but I don't compromise, pick up your wifi game!
MOVED - http://ulzzang-101.blogspot.com/


Skincare

7

Just a really short-ish stub
3CE


Ulzzangs and idols are like have especially even, bright, glowy, perfect skin so following this example is also quite fundamental.
As I've gone through major skin problems myself, and now have more or less overcome them, I thought I'd share what is believe is the secret to perfect skin.

It's the same as for weight-loss: Perseverance

Don't chose to ignore you skincare problems or brush them off as not being important enough to consult a doctor just because they don't kill you like cancer!
If they bother you on a daily basis, even if just subliminally, they do affect your quality of life and ulzzangs do have flawless skin (with make-up). But you'll only know in hindsight.
That is why I can't blame anyone actually, because if I'd had my way I wouldn't live to tell the tale as it was my mother who forced me to a dermatologist.





  1. Cleansing and having a clear skin

    I advise everyone to clean their skin regularly! That means every day, morning and evening.
    If that dries out your skin or anything find a really gentle cleanser.
    I didn't believe that using i.e. a foam cleanser was much more effective than regular water before, but now that my complexion is definitely better than before I have to admit that I was stupid.
    I know it takes a lot of effort and still to this day I'm not cleaning my face correctly over a longer period of time, but I believe my complexion would be better if I did.

    Also make us of exfoliators or peelings regularly. If you have sensitive skin, do it only once or twice a week, but if your skin is more like a bitch you can exfoliate every other day (like I do/ would).
    Exfoliating does not only unblock your pores by removing dirt and dead skin cells, it also prompts the growth of new skin cells thus fading (acne) scaring.
  2. Moisturising

    I was one of those smartass that believed that my skin didn't need any additional moisture since it was already very oily.
    If you think so too, you are actually very wrong.

    If your skin lacks moisture it will produce more and more oil to prevent itself from drying out. I used to wash my face very often, then I had super dry skin around my mouth and within one hour everything was super oily again.
    But I didn't know better nor did I really care.

    After I changed or better created my own skincare regimen I firstly noticed that with two times cleansing per day, your skin will be dry! So it needs the moisture! Also, when I applied moisturizer it wouldn't make my skin double oily, but actually it was like normal skin should be.

    So I suggest you to find a good moisturiser which additionally tackles one of your problems (oil control, enlarged pores, etc)
  3. Other skincare items

    Toners also contain active ingredients to tackle your problems and also a have cleaning effect.
    Eye cream treats the extra delicate needs of the thin skin around your eyes.
    Serums are like moisturisers only that they purely contain active ingredients, so they act as a really health boost for your skin.
    Masks help to repair damaged skin and a more like a once-in-a-while treat for it.

    In order to get really really good skin if your skin is naturally impure it is more often than not necessary to use more than just cleansers and moisturisers. And if you are familiar with Asian skincare culture you know that we layer really a lot of products in order to deal with different needs. The result speaks for itself I would say (just take a look at ulzzangs/ idols).
    I can testify to the effect of serums and masks, your skin really feels much better and smoother after using them.
  4. Here are a few skincare routine examples by Koreans so you get the picture.




  5. Professional Help

    If you can't handle your skin problems on your own, my advice is to go see a doctor.
    Having a professional by your side will get you much more purposeful to your aim than groping in the dark. Google 'your town dermatologist' to find the most popular/ best dermatologist, he/she will probably pop up among the first links.
    The important thing, apart from perseverance, is trust. It isn't easy, your doctor might switch medication, etc. That is why you have to inform yourself about the treatment, too. Ask him if you have questions (What is the exact problem with your skin?/ Why does he think this treatment is suitable?/ etc)
    Only when you are sure about what is being done to you, you can be a good patient and go through your treatment with ease. Find a doctor that you deem is good and then let him work his magic.

    Many Koreans regularly visit skin clinics to have their problems treated. I know a (Korean) guy and even he went to such places frequently and complained about how his skin worsened when he was outside Korea. No wonder their skin is as smooth as a baby's bottom.
  6. More tips

    Acne
    1. Keep your face, especially the areas with lots of pimples clean and free.
      To my surprise my skin improved when I changed my bed sheets more often. But I was also under medical treatment and took better care of my skin in general at that time so I can't really tell, but I do believe that a dirty phone or a sweating forehead covered by hair encourage breakouts.
    2. I also realized that oily hair or better the oil from our heads are quite potent after hearing a youtuber saying that she thinks some of her breakouts are caused by her oily hair. Since then I noticed how unwell I feel when I have been avoiding the shower and how pimples will then grow.
    3. Girls I know who fought with acne during puberty eventually got the (birth control) pill as a treatment. This form of acne is mostly caused by too many male hormones and the pill will counter that. As a result, these girls suddenly resurface with baby-smooth skin. Period.
      You might consider that, too.

    Skin Brightening
    I know that Vitamin C has skin brightening effects and there are at least a 1,000,000 DIY Vitamin C skin brightening mask/ srubs recipes out there which promise to lighten your skin color. Honestly, I'm skeptical about how much it can do and if it's even possible to achieve visible results.
    I also know that there are many skin brightening creams, etc but I also doubt these. I have tried one cream before (didn't help, but I didn't use it very often, soo...) and some of my BB Creams have 'WHITENING' written all over them (no sort of change here, too). Imho I think those creams are better to treat sun sposts, or local hyper pigmentation than changing your whole skin color.
    But I haven't really looked into that yet.
    What I would advise you to do is, stay indoors, always walk, sit, lie in the shadow use a lot of sunscreen, think positive (I really think that helps. At least then you will imagine to be fairer and as long as you are happy... wait, is that a tip?)

    Scars and dark/red spots
    Minor scars or discolouration will fade away over time, but if you want to speed up the process, use creams that help lighten them and regularly scrub your face. Scrubbing removes old skin layers. The regrowing new skin will be more and more normal and finally the scars/ spots will be gone.


Last but not least, the message I want to get across is that, in order to get perfect skin you need a bit of luck (that turning-point or a good doctor or a good product), some delicacy of feeling concerning your skin's needs and problems and as I said perseverance as improvement takes time and also finding the right products).
What you don't need is to spend tons of money on high-end skincare items or shallow TV ad food supplements. I think it is possible to get/ maintain a quite normal looking complexion (what I have now) with average products.

Of course you still need to try around a bit as every skin is different, what I mean is that there certainly isn't only one product that will help you. If you want to go from normal skin to idol/ ulzzang skin you might have to invest more.

A
7
  1. Hello! ( ^^) I commented on a post awhile back (the body section) but I still stop to read your blog here and there which is, by the way, very well organized~ ( ^^) I was quite excited to see this skincare post a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed reading it~ ( ^^) I really love how detail oriented you are and how you write about specific topics within a subject. My question related to this skincare post (which I have loved) is do you think skin in general is more "important" than body? I do not mean at all to sound negative or a bad person in any way! ( ><) The reason for my question is that I see many others around that have amazing bodies which is great but then their skin is not exactly "ulzzang"..? ( ;^^) And one more thing! I have naturally pale skin but would others with naturally "darker" skin tones find it more difficult to fit the ulzzang mold? Again, I do not intend to sound negative but I have been wondering about the topic on darker skin and find it difficult to ask about without being shot down by many others... To sum up my rather long comment (hah...), I would like your honest opinion if that is okay ( ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again! And thanks for dropping by regularly and for your lovely praise!
    I don't think you sound negative at all!!


    I think definitely your face is the most important thing. Face and then fashion, and then body (but body is still quite important).
    But actually it also depends on your 'goal'.

    If you just want to look Korean (which is ulzzang-ish, but diluted) then you could very much screw the 'perfect body' and just focus on a clear complexion and the right make-up. Paired with Korean/ ulzzang fashion and you are good to go. This is because, if you watch the audience of Korean TV shows or music shows, or better let's say the girls in 'Get it Beauty', you will see that many of the girls don't really have that A+++++++ body nor that V-shape face, but you can clearly see that they are Korean. Or the other way round - if you see a skinny Asian girl, do you automatically asume that she is Korean? No, you see if she's Japanese or Thai.
    I think Koreans in general are distinguishable by their fashion and face.

    If you really want to look ulzzang, let's say the same way if you were a Korean girl living in Korea and wanted to be one of them, then yeah being skinny is a must. Korean standards are very high, you want to be a part of it, you have to fulfil the requirements, there's no in between.
    But again even as an ulzzang there are different measures. I think it's good enough to be a real ulzzang by being just skinny, but if you wanted to be a top-grade sexy ulzzang, you also need that boobs and butt. Those have gained importance nowadays.



    Now to you 2nd question: Yes it is absolutely difficult to be a legitimate ulzzang if you are black (as most Asians call it when you are not 'white'). I guess in certain environments it is difficult enough to be simply tanned even without trying to be an ulzzang. Somewhere I read about children dissing and not playing with each other when one is more tan than the others. As I said the standards are just too high. It might be hard to accept for many, but just look at all the ulzzangs or the 'street models' that represent online clothing stores, none of them is less then white. BB creams come in white and super white. There is no real place for people who are 'different'. Being pale is really important, not only in Korea, but in many countries of East Asia (but especially in Korea). If people have a definition of the perfect curve of a nose, or the right shape of the jaw, why would they stop at the skin color?
    Lastly there are also only so many idols who are not white, e.g. CL. But then they measure CL with a different standard. Yes, she is ultra popular, but not because of her looks, but because she is bold and different. Which is really cool, but we are talking ulzzang here. Or take any other darker skinned idol. If news sites comment on them, they will say sth like 'look at her tanned prettiness' or 'she is tanned and pretty', but not just 'she is pretty'.
    So to put it sort, it is nearly impossible. Of course ulzzangs are online personalities, so there are other things beside your whiteness which play a role in gathering popularity; how very uber pretty are you? how awesome are the things that you post on instagram? is you boyfriend that super hot ulzzang boy? do you share funny videos of your aegyo? Those kind of things can win over a darker complexion of course, but that's more fighting then the others have to do. Still generally, I haven't seen a tanned ulzzang yet (and I don't think there exists many of them, if they do).


    That's my honest opinion. Thank again for your refreshing comment, it is nice to talk about other things than weight once in a while !^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness thank you for your reply! ( ^o^) I know it's been a pretty long time since I commented but I do appreciate the time you took to reply to my very long comment ( *^^*) I had always been more absorbed with skincare than I have with body and such so when I see how many people comment on the body section, I get a bit surprised ( ;^^) I'm really glad you decided to put up the skincare part of your Ulzzang Transformation blog since it's the one part of the ulzzang I actually thoroughly enjoy ( ^^) Perhaps I'll be able to see like posts in the near future ( ^^) Thank you again for your thoughtful reply and of course I will be following this blog the best I can~ ( ^^)/

      Delete
  3. I used the Skinceuticals CE ferulic Vitamin C serum for months and..nothing. oily skin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try to figure out the cause of your skin problem and work against that!
      I'm sure there exist a solution for you!

      Delete
  4. I am black and to me being pale is something I can't achieve but having a clear skin is my goal. Some people I know treated their acne with antibiotics and my skin care therapist advised put a hydrating mask after exfoliating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also had my acne succesfully treated with antibiotics

      Exfoliating can dry out your skin, which can cause it to create more sebum and getting extra oily, causing more acne. Hydrating is a good prevention of this.

      Delete
FOR COMMENTING GO TO - ulzzang-101.blogspot.com

I normally try to answer questions within one day!
Comments are on moderation, I try publish them asap to let you know that I have read them and will answer later once I have time and have thought about your concerns. xxx