Ulzzang Transformation

I'm Asian and like many (Asian) girls I like Korean culture and especially the beauty ideal of Korea very much!

I wrote this guide to share with you, but also in an attempt to create a community where everyone can help each other out
This is site is full of thoughtful personal tips, tricks and advise that I hope will help you to look like a Korean/ ulzzang.
With that said everything here is far away from a scientific work so please judge for yourself!

I hope you find some of the things helpful!


I always welcome advise, criticism, own experiences from you so please leave comments if there's anything bothering you or if you want to share something.
A place for every of your comments, questions, etc
UPDATES!!! Ruined my eyes writing 3 fashion posts (and that hairstyle post for you guys!!! Hope they are good for something!
Was too lazy to revise or check my writing in the end, so if you see some terribly embarassing spelling mistakes, yeah.. I really am that stupid!

I want to revamp the whole layout, add 2 posts about putting together an outfit and 'trends and staples', but not this lyfe man!
Oh yeah.. how do the new posts load? I know a shitload of pictures, but I don't compromise, pick up your wifi game!
MOVED - http://ulzzang-101.blogspot.com/


THE HAIR

4

Before I'm talking about typical colors or styles, I shall mention something which all Korean idols or ulzzangs have in common, concerning their hair:
It looks very healthy and shiny.
So whatever color or length you want to wear, make sure it's healthy.


  1. Colour

    Well, I mentioned already, but I gonna say this again.

    According to my observations, the most typical look (for ulzzangs) is black hair.
    I think having black hair makes you look Korean faster than any other hair color. Apart from most ulzzangs having black hair, blond or brown hair is also typically Japanese, so your look could end up like some vague gyaru/ulzzang mix which wouldn't be distinct enough.
    Also black will will enhance the whiteness of your face more (whether it is white or not), and it frames the face more efficiently, means you could cheat a smaller face if you let them open.

    But it's true that nowadays more and more idols and ulzzangs have other hair colors, ranging from all shades of brown, over orange to blond and white.
    If you like to go for a more unusual, original look then I'm not saying that you can't dye your hair any colour you want. Blond, orange or red are surely fun colours to wear and nice attention grabbers, while brown is not as boring and plain is black. Brown itself is less potent in diluting your ulzzng appearanc, but still - the darker the better.

    Only one last thing about very light colours: If your skin colour is rather dark then going very light will make you have that exotic latina look, which is not very ulzzang.
  2. Cut

    As we can see from their make-up or fashion Korean style is all about being simple. For hair cuts that means there aren't a lot of crazy layerins or asymmetric bobs going on.
    Idols as ulzzangs mostly have very simple basic hair cuts that vary only in length and bangs or no bangs (will talk about that later).

    I do think that the difference between idol and ulzzang hairstyle lies in the amount of hair. Idols often have very thin hair which blow softly in the wind (I guess they thin it out), while I believe that (due to the lack of top stylists) ulzzangs have fuller hair (which is typical for Asians).


    Have you thought getting or growing out your bangs? Bangs make a super super huge difference to your overall image, so it's really important to consider whether you have them or not.
    1. No bangs

      A free (huge) forehead is an indicator for two things - 1) sophistication. When you are not covering your forehead or eyes it shoes that you are openly meeting your environment, you are not afraid of anything. This look has a more mature and serious feeling to it.
      Secondly an open forehead looks more classy. While bangs add a lot of hair and movement to your appearance, no bangs have a clean look, which is associated with noblesse and a refined style.
    2. Bangs

      When no bangs are feminine, then bangs are girly. Bangs make you look instantly younger,cuter and more playful. They'll add a You're my oppaaaa feeling to your look and yeah, depends on your taste really.
      Bangs is Minah (Girl's Day), Jimin (AOA) or Raina (After School).


      I hope you could see how different the images of i.e. Yonna or Minah are.
    3. Can't decide? I guess most people would suggest clip-on bangs, but since I can't really be bothered to spend money on them, I have two other tips for you. Side parting side parting will also 'add hair to your face' thus more or less resemble the effect of bangs, it looks more playful then a centre parting, but still very grown-up. I think they might look a bit sexier though.
      See-through bangs they were (are?) a big trend in Korea and although I don't find them to be very pretty as such, they are a good in between bangs and no bangs. It's easy to style them to the rest of your hair with a bit of hairspray or so, but even when you don't do so they are still sophisticated AND girly.
  3. Hairstypes

    Of course almost all Asians have really straight hair, but idols have the opportunity to chose from a 100 different types of waves and curls to wear, which for some is somewhat difficult to imitate.
    Ulzzangs seem to stick to their naturally straight hair mostly and if they wear curls they are more of the standard and less nifty kind.
  4. Hairstyles

    Keep it simple only leaves enough space for loose hair, pony tails, buns. If you want to be fancy-simple then do braids or pigtails (ore more elaborate curls).
    Of course idols again have their stylists, which allows them to style their hair more lavishly even on a daily basis. Even so, their airport fashion includes mostly none of the 'work hairstyles' (pony tails, buns, whatever), but only lose, but absolutely wavy hair!!!
4
  1. any more updates??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this post is really rubbish
    will try to update this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these pictures are broken :c

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll do see-through bangs, you can move aside from you face when you want change your look.

    ReplyDelete
FOR COMMENTING GO TO - ulzzang-101.blogspot.com

I normally try to answer questions within one day!
Comments are on moderation, I try publish them asap to let you know that I have read them and will answer later once I have time and have thought about your concerns. xxx